Five months ago, on Christmas day to be exact, I stubbed my pinkie toe.
I stood all day in the kitchen. Entertaining.
Then I went to NYC and pounded the pavement.
All the while, with my foot killing me. Not just the toe, the whole damn foot hurt.
Since then, I have had –
– 2 xrays (they showed nothing)
– 4 weeks of physical therapy
– still pain, but now localized on the side of the foot, in the middle
– an MRI that showed – nothing [found out later, the MRI was taken only of the front of the foot, grrr…]
– 3 diagnoses by 3 different doctors of – plantar fasciitis, an inflamed tendon, and a soft tissue injury [all calling for different exercises – all of which I have none and none of which have helped]
Then the pain started to subside.
And started again.
So I went back to the doctor, and he ordered a bone scan.
Last Thursday I am lying on the table getting the bone scan, and am left alone in this room.
I am bored, I look at the pc that is showing pictures of my foot – and see the big white circle exactly where my pain has localized.
I ask the tech – what is that on my foot?
She says I need to wait for the report.
Of course I look this up online – it is called a hotspot – and it could be – a healing stress fracture, or a bone tumor.
And of course I focus on “bone tumor!?”
So I freaked out all weekend. Until I picked up the report yesterday.
“Likely a healing stress fracture of the cuboid bone.”
I am not sure if I should be relieved – or mad.
I have been walking around with a stress fracture for five fucking months.